2020 Commencement Postponed

Dear Campus Community,

The following message was sent this morning to members of the Class of 2020 and their families.

——————————————————-

Dear Class of 2020,

With a heavy heart, I am writing to you today to announce that Kalamazoo College’s Commencement will not take place as scheduled on June 14, 2020. This has been a tremendously difficult decision for us to make; however, public health experts continue to advise against large group gatherings as we head into summer. While the tradition of Commencement is sacred and dear, your safety and the safety of your families must come first. Nevertheless, I want to reassure you that we will have a Commencement ceremony for the Class of 2020 on campus once it is safe to do so.

I know the rescheduling of the Commencement ceremony is extraordinarily disappointing for you. We have been working with the leadership of the Kalamazoo College Council of Student Representatives (KCCSR) and with the Office of Alumni Engagement as we evaluate the different options available to us. You will be hearing from them as we seek your input to ensure that rescheduled events reflect your hopes and expectations. Our plans are to organize a weekend of activities that will include the different events normally associated with Commencement (e.g., Senior Toast, Baccalaureate, Posse Celebration, etc.). We will also be seeking your input regarding the best dates for this Commencement celebration. We will communicate details as they become available, so that you can plan accordingly.

While holding our regular Commencement ceremony is not possible this June, we do not want the current public health crisis to affect the date when you were expecting to receive your degree. Consequently, on June 14, we will hold a virtual Conferral of Degrees ceremony so that you will officially be a graduate of Kalamazoo College. More details about this event will be forthcoming via email and on the Commencement page at kzoo.edu.

I began my tenure here at K in the fall of 2016, making the Class of 2020 my inaugural class. You are the first group of students I have been with for all four years. For this reason, your class and this Commencement hold special meaning for me. I hope you will take a moment to listen to a video message I recorded regarding Commencement, as well as a message from your classmates and KCCSR leaders, Karina Pantoja and Mya Gough. I am very proud of what you’ve accomplished in your four years at K, and how you’ve handled adversity this term. I look forward to awarding your degrees in June and celebrating your accomplishments together on campus once we can safely gather on this fair Arcadian Hill.

Saludos and lux esto,

Jorge G. Gonzalez

President

Return to all Coronavirus Information and Updates