Dear Campus Community,
After review of the most recent COVID data, Kalamazoo College’s mask-optional policy will take effect today, Wednesday, April 6.
As a reminder, mask-optional means:
- Masks will not be required as a general rule inside College buildings. They may still be required by faculty members or staff inside classroom spaces or in individual offices, or for gatherings.
- In classes where masks are not required by the faculty member, students and faculty may still choose to wear a mask if they wish.
- In classes where masks are required by the faculty member, all students must continue to wear a mask.
- If you would like to post a sign in your area (office, cubicle, room, etc.) requesting that masks be worn, a printable sign is available online.
- Masks may be required by athletics staff as needed in shared spaces (such as team busses or athletic training room spaces).
- Mask-wearing is expected whenever you are experiencing symptoms of any illness, have a positive COVID-19 test, are awaiting test results or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- Members of the community should feel comfortable continuing to wear masks anywhere and anytime, if they prefer to do so.
We suggest that you always carry a mask with you on campus so that you can wear one if you want or need to. If you forget your mask, there will be some stationed in every building.
We support those individuals who continue to mask up due to health conditions or other personal reasons and ask that you respond to masking requests with consideration and respect.
Thank you for Protecting the Hive,
J. Malcolm Smith
Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students
Danette Ifert Johnson